3.11.2009

Reformed and revised?

It's 6:58pm, or should I say 1858? I ask only because I am at work and we use Military Time. I'm on one of those duties that requires my attention for all of about 30 seconds every few hours. So here's what I've thought up in the other 9 hours and 56 minutes of my time.

Have you ever wondered what has happened to the English language? What direction it's headed... what changes are yet to come? So many terms and phrases have been turned "politically correct" or "socially acceptable". When did society become so insecure about the language we use that we have to stop, think and maybe revise what we say? I understand that over time society is susceptible to change due to the influences and events that humans face every day, but when did our so-called "freedom of speech" become not-so-free?

When the words that we say today can affect what we do or encounter tomorrow, are we still free to say what we want? These days one simple word can put you in a position to face repercussions. We now live in a world where a few words spoken between two people can turn into an altercation, or even worse, legal matters. One word typed on a computer for the public to see can turn to a webpage being shut down, or it's owner being sued. Where's the freedom in this?

I speak my mind here only in opinion, and I'm sure most of you have figured that out by now. I don't defame any one person... or any one thing for that matter. I may attack a group as a whole, but never without purely expressing it as an opinion. This somewhat reminds me of a situation that my father faced not too long ago. He was pulled over by a police officer for crossing railroad tracks as the gates were coming down, and after the officer wrote and issued him his citation... my father proceeded to say "I think you're a revenue collector." to which the officer replied with a stern voice "What did you just say to me!?". My father responded with exactly what he said the first time at which point the officer retorted "Have a nice day... sir!". You might be asking yourself, "Why is he telling us this?", and I only have one answer. One simple word prevented my father from being written another citation, or worse thrown in jail. That one word was "think". My father made it a clear point that he was only expressing his opinion, and nothing more. Without this one simple word included in his statement it could have been considered slander. Just some food for thought.

I can't stress enough how impatient I am to see what further changes will come of the English language. In fact, I'm willing to bet that many people of many foreign nationalities face the same issues that we face... what to say and how to say it. Don't get me wrong, some punishments for things said are justified. I recall when Don Imus said something along the lines of "nappy-headed ho's" on live AM radio. That... didn't fly over so well, nor should it have. I directly agree with the criticism he faced for that statement. If you ask me, it was racist and showed signs of bigotry. However... that's just my opinion.

So I leave you with an "opinion" or two, take them with a grain of salt if you so choose:

1.) Watch what you say, and who you say it to.
2.) Those who are so uptight about what is said to them, lighten up a little... it's only words.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was Don Imus who said "nappy-headed hos" not Rush Limbaugh. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Imus#Rutgers_women.27s_basketball_controversy

Spyral said...

Thanks for the correction.

Anonymous said...

But you're hot. And a good writer.

Spyral said...

Lol, thanks for the compliments. :)

Anonymous said...

you're welcome ;)

Spyral said...

Who are you? LoL.